Friday, September 10, 2010

Friendship Moves - Eli Sunday (2010)



To be honest, I was planing to post just a bunch of old stuff today, but yesterday I received an email from this band and after listening I had an unbelievable urge to post them up. I'm predicting that this will be a shortish writeup, basically I haven't digested the band a lot. For now I only know that I like them quite much and so that's enough for a place here.
What we have here is an extremely young band and there is quite a small amount of information about them. "Friendship Moves" is a three piece hailing from Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom, bringing us a five song release with a total of almost 15 minutes of tunes. I must admit, hearing this was instant love, so let's take it from the start. "Eli Sunday" starts of with the song "Plainview" a beautiful, slow and gentle song, really managing to set you into a specific mood, quite a gloomy tune. At about a minute into the song, the instruments get intensified and screams come into the act. "We are the working men. We build your streets and houses. We build tunnels through mountains. We build bridges over canyons." The lyrics really draw a picture for you, a cold and rainy city, quite well adjusted to the instruments and the mood previously created. The song ends with a movie sample (my guess is from "There Will Be Blood", since Eli Sunday is a character from the said movie) and drops away, thus opening for the second track, "Living with Brucie" which has a similar composition style like track one, in the way that it starts off slow and gets more aggressive as the song progresses. In this song the aggressive part is more fluid and it has a bit of a tone like "Downfall of Gaia" had on their first release.
All of this is nice and cool, but my true amazement came at the middle of the second song. Around the half the instruments stop, distortion ringing around with just a few screams in the back...and then the best instrument explosion I heard for such a long while. A chest pounding "oh my I can't fucking breath" beat that the legendary "Wolves" were famous for. After that song I hoped that they would continue using this kind of style in a few more places and they luckily did. This whole release has such a great atmospheric feel to it and is amazingly well fit and composed. The dudes from this band know how to go to both ends so to speak, the aggressive parts being effectively striking and the gentle parts being really soothing. Production is superb as well and it really sums up the enjoyment for this record.
As I said, quite a short writeup. The lack of words definitely doesn't indicate a lack of quality, but quite the opposite. Just one walk through this release and already I felt that they are a top notch band. They are a new band and already managed to impress, so if they stick around for a while we will have ourselves quite a treasure here. Check them out and support them (here) as much as you can, they deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment