Saturday, April 30, 2011

Interview:Ghostlimb

April seems to be interview month for this blog. Either way, extremely proud to present to you the interview with "Ghostlimb" done by Luka and myself. I definitely have to say thanks to Justin who managed to answer the questions in the blink of an eye. Hope you enjoy the read!


1. First and foremost, thank you for taking your time  for this interview. We'll take it the old fashion way, so please introduce yourself and the rest of "Ghostlimb".

My name is Justin, I sing and play guitar in "Ghostlimb". We are a three piece, Neal plays bass and does vocals as well and Alex Tenaj plays drums.


2. How did you all get together to form a band? And always an interesting question, why "Ghostlimb"?

We have played together in other bands before or were just friends. I met NEal in 2006, "Ghostlimb" was originally just guitar and drums, but then he joined the band and filled it out, and really compliments the sound because he is not a bass player, but a guitar player playing bass. There is a marked difference, haha. Alex and I were in the band Dangers together, and he quit last year and joined ghostlimb. The concept behind the name is funny to me, it is the idea that when you have a severed limb, you can still feel it. In an old Cursive song, there is a reference to a ghostlimb as an unbelical cord, thus everyone is missing something in their lives due to their separation from something at birth. What a mess.


3. 2006 saw your first self titled release, followed by "Bearing  And Distance" in 2008 and 2011 finally got "Infrastructure". Tell  me something more about those three releases, were they somehow similar in creation process or did they have their own unique ups and downs?

Each record has been a different writing process, the first stuff I did all myself, because it was just drums and guitar, but as time went on Neal and I started writing a lot more together and it kind of solidified the sound we have now. The new record was super easy, and was written and recorded in about 2 months, which is super gratifying. Things are smooth now, and it is essentially, whatever we feel like playing.


4. Each of your albums has one song with only a number for a name ("Six", "Seven", "Eight"). Any particluar reason behind that? 

Originally on the first record "Six" was the sixth song we wrote. But "Seven" on "Bearing and Distance" refers to November 7th, the date here we had elections and voting that particular year. So that would be known in more of the context of American politics. "Eight" refers to Proposition 8 here in california seeking to ban gay marriage, so they have a corresponding theme, even though the ideas are different.


5. Between these releases "Ghostlimb" has been extensively touring. Any particular show or part of the world  you are most fond of? Somewhere you'd ike to go back to?

Europe is always fun, but I really like southeast Asia and Japan. I would also like to get back to Australia with "Ghostlimb" and see how we fare there.


6. What are your thoughts about the state of this  kind of music worldwide? Due to doing a lot of shows all around the  world I guess you got first row tickets to peek into various types of music scenes.

I am glad that the music industry as a whole is crumbling. DIY and cooperative networks of people playing music and doing productive things have always existed, although it is a lot easier now with the internet. I think the world DIY scene is alive and kicking, and it has done a lot for us in the past, I try to put back as much as I can into it to help other people or bands as well.


7. While we are at it, could you explain how do you  feel about your local underground music scene? Is there anything  specific that you hate or love about it?

Los Angeles is strange right now for music. Venues come and go within a year usually and although 10 years ago it was arguably the biggest hardcore scene in the country, it gets difficult getting things going here these days. That being said, the people that are doing stuff help out a lot of people and really do bring shows and bands together, but I will it wasnt such a hassle to start or run a venue or show spot. Thanks LA.


8. Does it further inspire you to keep the band going once  you see how your music inspires the audience during live shows?

People tend to react strangely to "Ghostlimb". Since there is no free hand singer, I think they may not know what to do or might feel strange, but I like that the shows are different than "Graf Orlock" or "Dangers" sets, and it has a different kind of intrinsic value for me when we play tight and did well, whether or not people are watching at all.


9. Aside of the mentioned releases, you were also on a split with "Fischer" and a fourway with "Zann", "Trainwreck" and "Perth Express". How did those happen?

I have known "Zann" for a long time and people in that band have set up all three of our Euro tours as well as released the "Ghostlimb" records on vinyl in Europe. We also know "Trainwreck" and "Perth Express" so it was a cool thing to do with people from the other side of the world we are friends with. Always nice to have a split record with friends.


10. You have been going strong for a fair number of years now, how do you guys  feel about  where "Ghostlimb" is now when compared to from where it started? Was everything like you initially planned?

I can honestly say that I am much more into the band and where it is going now than I ever have been. The stuff we have been writing and this new record is more in the direction I have always wanted to go than anything. So I a, real happy to get out there and play a lot of new songs and hit some new places. I wasnt unhappy about the band before, I just feel like the 3 of us click in such a way that we can achieve whatever we want.


11. Thus far, what have been your experiences concerning  diy, both good ones and bad ones?

Mostly good ones. Every now and then people rip you off or whatever, but that is how it goes dealing with people, period.


12. What are your thoughts when it comes to diy music and  internet? Do you actually follow some webzines or blogs?

I try to pay attention to what is going on and certain message boards bring stuff up I probably wouldn't have seen on my own. There arent though particular ones I frequent. Give me some suggestions!

Stefan: Basically I would suggest any blog from my "Friends and partners" list, all are being run by extremely friendly people and are quite interesting to follow. There are probably a bunch more blogs worth mentioning, but lack of time prevents me from exploring as much as I should.


13. Do you think that the diy note makes this kind of music more heartfelt and passionate compared to "mainstream" projects?

I don't know. I feel this way about the things I am into and have done, but there can be just as much fronting in a small band as a larger one. When you are in a huge band though, a lot more of what your band is about is out of your hands, with labels and managers and all that. So i think that perhaps it is more genuine doing it yourself and staying tre to whatever you set forth, out of the hands of backstabbers, etc.


14. Do you have some plans for the future as a band?

I would like to go as far as possible with this band, make some more records, play some shows, meet more people, and travel more. We will see how much of that we can do.


15. Time for you to ask a question!
Where do you live and what is the scene like there? 

I'm from Belgrade, Serbia. There are a lot of bands here from various genres, one can surely find something here that can please his or her music taste. The only problem here is that we definitely need more shows, most of the time it's a sort of "dry season" when it comes to gigs.


16. You are also a member of the band "Graf Orlock". How do you  feel about  that project when compared to "Ghostlimb"? Do different things inspire you when it comes to writing music for it?

I feel like they are very different things. They focus on different ideas and the songs in "Ghostlimb" more accurately reflect what we are into, like history, theory, and things of that sort. So in this way, there is a different sort of gratification with both, and the fact that they are two different sides of what I want to do.


17. Are there any more musical projects in which "Ghostlimb" members are involved?

Yes, the label that is connected to us is called "Vitriol" and I run that. Neal is in another band called "Forming" who are very awesome, and I am in the bands, "Graf Orlock", "Dangers" and "Buyer's Remorse".


18. Aside of band and music related work, do you guys have some other hobbies?

Lots of dork stuff. Neal is into landscape architecture, Alex is into geography, and I am into history.


19. Are you involved/interested in any form of activism, be it animal/human rights, ecology, politics, ...?

We are all either vegetarian or vegan and try to have some idea about the way money is spent and how our real voting with cash effects things. Our politics fall a lot in line together, but it is difficult to write it all out. We are interested in autonomy and cooperative enterprises.


20. What have been your favorite releases in 2011 thus far? And what about some overall favorites?

I like the "Owen Hart" record, and the new "Graveyard" record "Hinsingen Blues", it is super 70s. Also the new "Obits" record, real rock and roll called "Standard, Moody, and Poor".


21. Once again, thank you so much for doing this interview, hope you enjoyed it as much as we did. Any final  message for the readers?

Write what you want to read, play what you want to hear.
Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment