Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Via Fondo - Via Fondo (2010)


With great excitement I start writing this. A while ago there was this much loved, but sadly short lived screamo band from Sweden with just a few releases, but all of them masterpieces. But in 2009 they fell apart, quite a bad thing for this genre. Yet from the scattered collective some pieces remained in a new project, continuing the brilliant work the previous band did. The band now known as "Via Fondo" rose from the ashes of the amazing "Anemone".
First of all, I must admit that I was introduced to this project back in May this year by a friend, both a blessing and a curse. The band recorded just one song at the moment and it wasn't final, so I was asked to stay quiet about the whole thing and it was so hard not sharing it with anyone. And finally here I am, writing this to the tunes of this mind blowing 4 track selftitled release, completely confused at what to write first, since I want to say so much about this project.
I remember back in May that upon hearing the song (if my mind serves me well, the track in question was "Icicles") and I was absolutely stunned by what I heard, yet when I heard this final release I couldn't believe how they actually managed to improve that which was already amazing. The legacy left from "Anemone" is apparent in this release and let's be honest, we are not talking about a flaw here, but this four piece evolved the sound further and added a touch of their own, making this an audio spectacle. So, what is so special about "Via Fondo"? The technical aspects are superb, great and clean recordings where all instruments are very easily discerned and you can easily concentrate on a wanted tone. But the more important part, the actual music is where they excel at. An unbelievable amalgam of chaos and aggression, yet at the same time gentle and emotionally charged tunes, an ever present feeling of coldness and distance during listening. It is quite hard to explain the things twirling in your mind while you indulge in these tunes, one must listen to understand. Every part of the band has some unique role in a given song, like in the track "Vulpes Vulpes" where the vocal sounds tormented and at moments an added echo and pack singing inserts the mentioned distance, yet the instruments at first start violently and they slowly begin dropping down at moments, finally letting the guitar lead into a gentle, barely noticeable overtone until it's playing alone for a few seconds, only for the whole band to explode once again. See what I mean? Hard to explain, simply because it really takes your breath away.
And what to say at the end? We can all only hope that this project won't be short lived as was its predecessor and that they continue making music like this. So give them the much needed support, they deserve every bit of it. You can get in touch with them here.
Special thanks to my dear lastfm friend samanthaaajane for introducing me to "Via Fondo" music and to Gustav who approved the posting of their music. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment