Thursday, August 19, 2010

Interview:Chaos Is...


1. First and foremost, thank you for accepting to do this interview. I'm still new to this and I will stay to the classic approach, so please introduce yourself and the rest of the band.

Hi Stefan. WE have to thank you for your interview. So I'm Ianik, 31 years old teenage guy, and I'm the singer of CHAOS IS. We're coming from Strasbourg (east of France, close to the German border). Actually, CHAOS IS are: Bobo and Sébastien @ guitars, Matth @ bass, Simon @ drums .... and me (@ gaaaargle). We're all friends for a long time ... more or less ;o)

2. There is quite a small amount of information on you guys on the web, but the one thing know is that you come from numerous other bands. How did you all get together to form "Chaos is..."?

CHAOS IS was built on the dust of other bands like Iblylom , Noir and Mac Fly & his Space Out Car. We're just 5 friends who want to play loud and fast music together, sharing some ideas and a lot of passion.

3. Is there any chance of activating those dead projects? I remember "Iblylom" was quite a loved band.

Hmmm, I don't think there is any chance to see and hear "Iblylom" once again !!
This band is really DEAD now. Simon is also playing in 3 other bands, Sébastien is playing guitar in another punk band and Bobo is playing and singing in a folk duet. So, we don't have enough time for our past projects.

4. France has always been considered to be on of the cradles of screamo, both in Europe and the world. What are your thoughts on the current French screamo scene?

I don't know if there is (or if there was) a REAL screamo scene in France. If you speak about French bands like Mihai Edrisch, Daitro, Amanda Woodward or other bands, yes, they've been a big part of our screamo scene. But today, I don't know if there is the same passion and the same energy/activity about this. Some screamo emo bands evolved towards something more violent, like CELESTE for Mihai Edrisch, or more "punky" like 12XU (ex Daitro). CHAOS IS just writes songs to share the stage, meet people, see incredible places and playing as much as possible.

5. From the very beginning this genre always had roots in diy ethics. What have been your biggest experiences in that field? What do you think is the biggest challenge for diy bands?

I think recording and doing our split LP with F,W! was one of the most exciting experiences I ever had. I was totally involved in this project, especially for the cover printing. I do some DIY hand-printing, and that was an awesome job to print 400 split covers. Crazy days and nights, a lot of coffee, a lot of emails with Chris and Jens from F,W! and of course a lot of passion!!
But this is the way to be for a 100% DIY project. And having some nice reviews and interest for this Lp is the most important! So, I have to THANK YOU once again Stefan ;o)

6. What do you find to be your biggest inspiration when it comes to making music?

PASSION, DIY, LOVE, LIFE, FRIENDS, SHARING MUSIC, MEET SOME NEW AND AWESOME PEOPLE !!

7. I asked you before about your ex-bands. Do you guys have some side projects now, next to "Chaos Is..."?

Yes there is !! Like I said above, Simon is playing in 3 other bands !! He's playing drums in GERANIUM and I AM JOHN SPARTAN, and guitar in a great german band (POST WAR DEPRESSION). Sébastien is playing guitar in THE BORING, and Bobo is singing and playing guitar in a folk duet called THELMA. I was playing guitar and singing in a postcore band called ATILA, but it's dead now ...
Here are the links if you want to listen to all these bands :
www.myspace.com/theboring
www.myspace.com/thelmafolk
www.myspace.com/postwardepression
www.myspace.com/iamjohnspartan
thebandnottheplant.blogspot.com

8. I am always wondering is what do band members listen to in their free time. Wanna share some of those?

Whaou, there is a lot of music I'm listening to, mainly old "heavy" stuff like Faith No More, Downset, Pantera, Nine Inch Nails, Crowbar, Melvins etc etc ... I'm 31 years old and all these "old bands" are my "teen-music" ... hahaha ... I love them so much !!
But I'm also listening to the old screamo/emo scene (Mihai Edrisch, Funeral Diner, Yage, The Assistant, Ampere, Gantz, Orchid, etc), some indie/pop/rock music (Pinback, Yaphet Kotto, Pretty Girl Makes Grave, The Cure) and a lot of "soul /blues/jazz" stuff (especially Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin,nMiles Davis and John Coltrane).

9. Do you find yourself, as well as the band in general, being under influence of the said bands? And do you find a specific band to be a major influence on your work?

The most influence I have is my life and my own experience about /with human beings !! We can sound like many other screamo bands, but we don't copy them. We're just writing songs and melody, that's all. And finally, this is not screamo, it's just passion and energy !! DIY PUNK ROCK, a bit more violent / speed !! Hahaha, it's so funny to see that bands must be tidied up in a category. Screamo is just a word... Are we really screamo kids ?? I don't think so ...But well, I just have to (need to!?) share all the feelings I have, and I think CHAOSIS is the best form to share and explain my feelings to other people. I just need it to feel ALIVE !!



10. What are your plans for the future as a band when it come to new releases, splits, compilations, tours?

We will take part on a compilation released by friends in Luxembourg. Then, we have to write some new songs (we have already 3 new songs never recorded yet, but put in our live set) and perhaps recording our 1st LP next year (I hope so!!)
We will also try to make a tour with our german bro F,W! in Spain, but we have to see if we can find common dates, and find some contacts/people in Spain who can help us to book shows...

11. Do you guys endulge in some other hobbies beside music?

Yeeep ;o) I have a silkscreen/hand-printing workshop in my basement. You can see my work here : http://www.facebook.com/pages/LES-PRESSES-AMBULATOIRES/351057806458
I'm also writing some short poems, and a lot of shitty words ;o)
Matth and Simon are running 2 labels (Matth = SADDEST SONG RECORDS // Simon = DREAMCOMESTRUE RECORDS).
Simon is also booking some shows with DCT, in our area (Strasbourg), you can find the label on myspace ;)

12. Finally, again I'd like to thank you so much Ianik for taking time and answering these questions. Do you have any final message for the blog, "fans", friends, bands?

So, thank you Stefan for your interest, once again, this is just pure passion and I feel so happy to meet some people like you !! Hope to meet you one day !!!
Thank to all the people who help us, for booking a show, feeding us and listening to our music
and our words. Feel free to write us, this is what DIY PUNK must be !!
SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH, hope everything could be understood ;o)
Love, Passion and Freedom !! Communication is the key !! Take care ...

No comments:

Post a Comment