Monday, October 25, 2010

Gig review: Went


Ah, finally some time and energy to write something for the blog. I didn't really imagine that my new "job" would be so tough, one would think that when your job is just to write you can't get tired. Trust me, you can. Anyways, there is quite a lot of stuff I need to post, so I'll grab what time I have, but first I need to look back at Fridays amazing gig.
The concert took place three days ago, on October 22, in the "small club" of "Akademija" ("Academy"). Yeah, you guessed it, there is also the regular sized club next to the small one, but there was another gig there at the time. "Academy" has been around forever and it really has a cult status in Belgrade, but for some reason I don't like it. In the beginning when I was younger I really enjoyed and liked the place for it's design, the club having a catacomb look being composed of several connected halls. But as time passed by I started kinda hating the place, probably because of all the kewl peps who tend to go out there and the realization that the club tends to have an awful sound.
So as the gig poster suggests, before the band there was supposed to be a dj duo as support, but I kinda missed it, since I arrived somewhere around 10:30 PM. My girl, a friend and me wanted to get there on time, but we kinda failed and in a moment I was actually freaked out that we were gonna miss Went's opening. Luckily they kicked off around 10:45 PM, if I remember correctly. Oh damn, I completely forgot how beautiful their music is. A calming, mellow voice in a sea of instruments, sometimes peaceful and sometimes rending and chaotic. That would be their music in a nutshell. What I find fascinating about this Serbian quartet is that when you listen to their music, you really don't know what they are going to hit you with, a floating folkish tune or a whirlwind of fast-paced melodies. Their sets are unpredictable and all you need to do is just sit tight and enjoy the ride. To be completely honest, I haven't listened to some of their songs on myspace (which I will do just now and you can to if you go here) and I only have the "How Are You" release in digital format, so I know just two songs. Lucky for me both songs were played, so I got my share of singalongs. Despite several technical problems they had while playing and the overall catastrophic sound the club has, they have set up an excellent show.
A really short review, but hey it's just one band. At the end of the gig they announced another show coming up on 12th November in one excellent venue, plus they are playing with one foreign band, so that is definitely going to be something to look forward to. Expect a review on that as well. Until then, I strongly suggest that you boys and girls check Went out. I posted "How Are You" quite recently in one of the howling compilations, so it is just a few clicks away. Check them out, you will definitely enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment