Sunday, December 26, 2010

Saturday's Kids - s/t 7''


Ouch, long time since the last post. Well, as I already wrote in the screambox, my pc is broken at the moment, so now I'm using a laptop until I either fix my old pc or get a new one. Until then, I'm stuck with this and it sucks since I don't have any of my shit here, so I end up listening to music over youtube and whatnot. It's a shitty laptop, yeah. Ok, enough random rants, let's get this rolling.

"Saturday's Kids" hails from South Wales, UK and formed in 2008. I was contacted about posting his band here by Sion like a month ago and it was just yesterday that I managed to take a listen. He described the band as being "weirdo experimental punk" and to be honest, I took that with a raised eyebrow. I already discussed my thoughts on the "experimental" tag in one other post, so I held back my expectations about being amazed by this. Well, my mistake, since this band struck me completely off guard. And it struck hard and directly.
First of all, this 7'' brings three songs with nearly ten minutes of tunes. The thing that pokes your eyes almost instantly is a kind of uneven distribution of song length, already a hint that something crazy is happening here. "Three Days" kicks off with a sound which resembles a machine of some sort, followed by a guitar with an eerie tone to it. So you think "ok, cool, kinda atmospheric, I'm digging it", but you are so fooled since soon everything goes insane and you get pounded down by aggressive drumming, seconds after which bass also joins the fray. You get stuck in this tornado of sound and then out of nowhere vocals also jump at you. I don't know if it's just me, but the vocals remind me of Geoff Rickly from "Thursday", but a bit younger and a lot more aggressive. Don't know if the descripiton made sense, it does in my head at least. Anyway, as the song progresses, you realize that this projects is going to have a lot of aces up it's sleave. The first minute and a half is a repetitive, aggressive, fast tempo melody with a slight variation in sound being introduced somewhere around 1:40, which leads into the pinacle and crescendoe of it all with amazing drum playing. The next twenty or so seconds really did it for me, still quite fast, but a bit more flowing and with an amazing post punkish tone introduced by the bass. At this point when you take a listen, you will reallize why I am analyzing this so thoroughly. Due to excellent recording of this material, you are able to witness and enjoy a song's every milisecond and focus on anything you find attractive.
After the amazing bass line and again the repetitive section, everything just drops down and becomes something on the verge of slow and mid tempo, until it drifts away at the end. The five minute monster is over and you move onto "Spider's Legs", a fast one minute track with a sort of alternative, punk, rockish tone. Quite catchy and it really swings you up and around. In the end, "A Dirty Dream" is an absolute pleasure to listen to. The opening part is a stunning bass line with a pure post punk feel to it, so amazing. The rest of the band enters soon after and yes, a complete post punk wonder is in front of you. Despite the fact that there are sections of aggressive outbursts on this song, the track is generally gentle and slow.
In the end, this band pretty much blew me away. My thoughts proved correct with assuming that various song lenghts mean different playing styles and that trait of "Saturday's Kids" is what makes them enjoyable. You can find a lot in these ten minutes and everything that you do find is extremly good, especially with the top notch quality of recordings. That also is one of the great traits of this project.
I didn't upload this record since you can download everything on their bandcamp page, actually on the "Art of the Blind" page, which I presume is their label. Check them out there, as well as on their myspace page here.
http://artforblind.bandcamp.com/album/saturdays-kids-s-t-7

No comments:

Post a Comment