Friday, February 25, 2011

Ghost Dance - Ghost Dance (2011)



Due to various factors and commitments I have really increased downtime between posts. I will definitely try to post more frequently, because this slow blog motion is getting on my nerves. Hopefully this band will shake me enough to get me back on track and to be honest it has quite a lot of potential to do so.

"Ghost Dance" is a duo coming from Lancaster, USA. If you are a longtime follower of my blog, then you already came into contact with Chris and Tyler through their other project, namely "Broken Chords Can Sing A Little". Last September I wrote a review for the "Broken Chords..." discography (which you can read here) and I was moved quite much by their music. It was very exciting to hear that they guys have a side project and the fact that they were a two piece made things even more interesting for me.
So, what we have here is some well sculpted screamo in a twenty six minute release. A legacy of "Broken Chords..." can be heard here in the form of quite chaotic, raw and screechy sound, at times even reminding me of the first release by the band "Fuck, Wolves!". But despite the obvious similarity to their primary band, the duo managed to successfully twist their self-imposed influences and add something more to their sound. As Chris told me, they started playing with an idea to be a math/instrumental band, but eventually vocals were added into the mix. Thanks to that initial plan, there is quite an interesting layer to their tunes, so it is not all just screamo. You can find a lot of changes in their melodies, sometimes with those mathy sections jumping at you or even more hardcore driven playing which kicks you to the ground with breakdowns and heavy riffs. Also, unlike "Broken Chords" there is a significant amount of experimentation with guitar effects, so certain songs have a vastly different tone and mood when compared to the rest of the tracks on this release.
The very structure and composition of the songs is quite diverse. Tracks bounce from slow, mid and fast tempo, though they never really reach a too fast, aggressive note for which a lot of chaotic bands are well known for. The songs do get to a certain point when they sound angry and frustrated, but not quite violent, which I personally find to be quite a trait. This is most likely due to the lyrics and the very type of vocal performance, which despite the constant screaming adds a level of calamity. It is kinda hard to explain, since you have to take a listen and get what I am saying.
In the end, I really enjoyed this release, thanks to my love for two piece projects and the type of chaos present here. I'd definitely like to hear some more material from this project, since there is a lot of potential here. Some of you probably won't enjoy the type of recording, which I personally don't mind, but maybe further evolution of this band will bring advancement in that area. Either way I highly recommend you check out their tunes!
You can get in touch with "Ghost Dance" on their myspace page here or on their Facebook page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment