Friday, March 4, 2011

Heart On My Sleeve - Blood Is Not Thicker Than Wine (2010)



To be completely honest I didn't think that I would be writing here today, since I have some other projects that I am currently involved with. But when I saw that this band was next in line to be posted I just had to find time and squeeze in this writeup. What can I say, Swedish screamo is my weak spot.

Most of you probably know about this release by now, since they recorded this demo a month ago and I already came across it on numerous blogs. Despite already having coverage, "Heart On My Sleeve" is definitely worth talking about. As I already mentioned, this newly formed quintet hails from Sweden, more specifically Stockholm. This country is absolutely well known for a score of interesting projects, standing shoulder to shoulder with France and Germany when it comes to screamo and this band managed nothing less than to strengthen that position. But before I go any further with talking about things on a global scale, lets just keep our focus on this release.
I remember when Kalle from "Heart On My Sleeve" wrote to me, he also mentioned that his band contains members of "Followed by 37 Seconds Of Happiness" and "The Hope And The Failure". This little information was completely enough for me to know that this is going to be beyond amazing and I was completely right. While I'm writing this I am listening to their music for the first time and the simple fact that I needed no special preparation or trail period listening speaks for itself. The two ex-bands are very much loved by yours truly, each with its own special something. Not only can the legacy of these projects be sensed within this new band, but they managed to fly above their previous achievements, thoroughly twist them and make a sound more stunning by a tenfold.
There are four songs on "Blood Is Not Thicker Than Water" with eleven minutes of pure, fast screamo. It is an extremely speedy release and you literally have no time to stop and think about it. Several slower sections are present, but the very second you get used to it another outburst of sound picks you up and makes you running again. It is a similar feeling to the one when listening to the band "Marat". You have a handful of songs which completely preoccupy your mind with just an insane number of tones coming out of your speakers and while you are trying to register everything going on around you the release is over. And what else to do then just play the whole thing again.
By now you very well see that I won't be talking about the actual music, instead focusing more on the feelings which it invokes. This is simply because I was extremely infatuated with what I heard and this band really falls into the basket with those that you just need to experience for yourself, rather than me just randomly describing what it all sounds like. Especially if you know their previous bands and in case you don't I strongly suggest you check them out first. I have "The Hope And The Failure" here, but I never actually uploaded "Followed by 37 Seconds Of Happiness" anywhere because I apparently suck.
In the end, this is a definite recommendation. I am really stunned by the quality of both the music and the recording that it really leaves me wanting for more. Hopefully "Heart On My Sleeve" will have a bright future ahead of them, since this alone is forth the notion that they can absolutely make something which I consider beautiful. If you want to check them out on bandcamp you can do so on their page here or get in touch via myspace here.

No comments:

Post a Comment