Saturday, March 12, 2011

HOME - Self titled EP (2010)



There was an extreme wish for me to start writing on the blog every two days or so, but I became sabotaged by some kind of slow mood and general sleepiness. I guess that the rapid weather changes really leave their toll on me, as well as the energy being used for studying for an exam I have on Thursday, can't wait for it to be over. But until then, here is something heavy and interesting coming from Austria.

"HOME" is a trio hailing from Innsbruck, Austria formed in the winter of 2009/10, the first time when these three friends got together to create something of their own. When Amadeus wrote to me about their EP he mentioned that they play a mix of sludge/hardcore/stoner/whatsoever and seeing as how much I love the said genres I was thrilled to take a listen. But to be honest, despite the excitement, I actually expected to hear some "classic" tunes and I didn't take a peak at their music until the time came to write about them. Finally after a month the time for this band came knocking on the door and right now I absolutely regret not listening to them right away, since the past month would be much more interesting that way.
Just a few minutes of their tunes were enough to bitchslap me for thinking that this is just an average sludge/something band. Certainly, sludge is at the very core of this band, but there is something very specific which makes "HOME" really stand out from the rest. There is a sort of progressive, at times even psychedelic feel to their music, kinda justifying the stoner part, but it is on a whole new level here. Most of the time, the genres which Amadeus mentioned get to be so heavy and slow that you feel boxed in between strictly accented song sections, like one second we are gonna drop our tone low and the next we are gonna explode and then we will just let distortion do its job. But "HOME" fused that prog/psychedelic spice into their work and it makes a big difference in a way that everything just flows extremely well. You don't sense the above mentioned dams in the songs, rather you get to hear fluid changes happening along the way, yet at the same time you have that sludgy heavy tone being omnipresent.
Reading the text I wrote so far I realize that is quite hard to describe their music without analyzing every sound coming from the speakers. That progressive attribute opened the way for a lot of experimentation with playing, so there is a high amount of various things going on in these four plus minute songs. Sections with crazy guitar riffs, start-stop playing, shifts from rushing and aggressive to gentle melodies, change in vocal performance with singing, growling, screaming and so on... There is really a lot to be heard here and every bit of it is enjoyable. To make matters even better, since we are dealing with a trio having exceptional quality of recording you get to clearly hear absolutely everything. That is also what makes writing about their music a tough task, since I want to say a million things, but have no idea on what to focus first.
Taking that into account, the best thing for you is to just go and take a listen for yourself. Trust me when I say that you will definitely love this project. I am extremely glad that I was contacted about "HOME", this is a worthy addition to the blog and I am excited to keep an eye out for their future work. You can do so as well if you check out their myspace page found here or facebook here.
But before I end this writeup, here is a little special something which Amadeus threw in the e-mail he wrote to me. A live clip of one of their shows which you can watch here! Feast your eyes and ears and hope they decide to do a tour! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment