Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Melete 7''



Honesty from the start, it never really crossed my mind to do a review of this release. I have some promised records I have to do write-ups for, but I didn't had an idea to do it for this one, despite having it in material form for a few days now. Things tend to change apparently and in quite a rapid rate I might add, so here I am with an immeasurably vast wish to spill my thoughts about this 7''.
Writing about this is going to be hard. Not because it's a bad release, believe me, it's far from that. Nor because I don't know what to say. My hardship with this is the sheer state of being stunned by something I haven't really felt in a long, long time. Let me elaborate that a bit. "Melete" I know for about a year now, first introduced to them through a show in Belgrade. One of the first impressions was pure amazement, since they sounded so powerful yet in the same time so emotional while they played their music. I particularly remember a part of one song they played ("Rhodonea..." I think, but I'm not sure since that song was featured on this release and not on the tour ep, but nevermind), when they stopped playing and just screamed the lyrics as one. The amount of passion was brilliant and I was completely blown away and moved in those few moments. Also, I remember that the singer talked about the meaning before every song, discussing homophobia, racism, people who "make money from hardcore" and other things that plague the scene, as well as human minds in general. On a whole they seemed like good musicians with a few interesting statements.
But let's get back to this release. After the show, I quickly posted their tour ep on my ex-blog, "Skream Your Lungs Out", and due to my correspondence with Luka, singer of Melete, he told me he was so thrilled to see the release that he wanted to give me their new 7'' as a "thank you" present. Fast forward quite a long time in the future, namely a few days ago, I receive the 7''. I browse through it, great cover with interesting art, a small non-stapled booklet, completely diy and looking excellent. And today I'm sitting here at my desk, studying, when my gaze falls onto the vinyl again and I remember that I haven't read the booklet.
But wait a second, let's flash backwards to the gig they played on Sunday (review found bellow). They played and again there was talk of all the bad things crawling into other people's brain and into the "scene". And after the show, during a break between "Melete" and "Shades of Gray" I had a very interesting conversation with one of my mates who just heard "Melete" for the first time. "They talk of homophobia and that all cops are bastards, but they present their songs in a chaotic non-understandable way. How can I get a point out of their songs when I can't understand what he is singing about?" while another mate (who is out of the whole underground music thing, so basically he should be ignored) "All that talk is major poseur crap, just for show." I continued onto the first mate's statement and defended "Melete" in saying that you simply cannot GET the point out of the lyrics at the first show, if nothing, simply because you actually can't hear the lyrics as a whole, nor do you have the time to study and explore every part of the band. If you get attracted by their performance, you then explore them inside your home, where you can find out the "point" the band is trying to achieve. And while I was actually stoic in my statement, it made me wonder: are they like that beyond the "stage"? Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking do they go home and listen to "insert random mainstream brainwashing mass consumerism act" and indulge in fascist activity. No, I'm asking is it all just for talk, or is there some work being done without the instruments and microphone in hand? Of course, even if they do, they wouldn't be the first to do stuff like that, but it's just that I don't know them in person and it just tickled my interest.
Returning to today and me opening the vinyl package to get to the booklet and read it. In all my life since I have sentience and interest in music I haven't found something that moved me so much. Something so small and plain, with only typed words, yet so strong that after reading it I felt like standing in a field after a thunderstorm. Stunned, deeply inspired, by a thing which came and went in ten minutes time. Eight pages filled with lyrics, two fiction stories, one sort-of essay on hardcore, several pages of the band saying thanks and one blank page. The amount of passion from the pages shocked me. Honesty literally exploded into my face and brain out of these typed lines. The excitement and happiness of being a part of such a band and writing about it in the booklet inspired me, for I would most definitely share the same feelings if I was a part of something like that. A single blank page left so that the one owning the record can give his personal insignia onto it, making a unique record for himself, contributing and not being just a consumer. After reading everything, I felt like some unknown force was hidden inside the pages and it raised and punched me straight into the chest. In that single moment, all those questions and doubts were answered and wiped away, for "Melete" is a band working through and through, with both instruments, voices and pens. They stand for things which they are proud of and brave enough to show in every way possible.
The amount of thoughts rushing through my mind at the moment were swirling around and I was instantly inspired on writing and dedicating something for them. And that is why this is hard to write about, as I said at the beginning of this review. The sheer quantity of thoughts and impressions and consternation makes me want to say a million different things, but unable to pick the right ones. I honestly hope that I have accomplished at least a bit in the task of sharing those thoughts in the proper way. For some of you, this may seem stupid, lame, a bit too emotional, a bit too carried away, or just plain retarded. Accept this review and these words however you like (and this band's work for that matter), but I will tell you just one thing. I love quite a number of bands, but what "Melete" earned from me, aside of love, is RESPECT.
And since this seems to be more of a band review, I'll get a bit technical about the record. Three completely new songs, composing of eleven minutes of screamo, emo, hardcore or whatever you want to call it, it matters not. Trust me on this and contact "Melete", buy the record, visit their shows. Bands like this deserve all our support. Contact them via their blog here.
For the end of this review I would just like to share one part of their lyrics to the song "Rhodonea....", most likely my favorite song.

Yesterday I had sex with
a girl with no left arm.
Today I have a date with
a boy who has no legs.
Tomorrow I will marry a
deaf dog. And friends
keep asking what's
wrong with me. I say,
"Nothing, you're just full
of prejudice."

No comments:

Post a Comment