Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Gig review: Melete/Shades of Grey



I promised to do a review of the gig I attended on Sunday, so here it is. My honest prediction is that, well, this is kinda gonna be short. I'm still tired from the gig and I haven't slept quite much from then, so my brain is working on minimum supplies. I'm writing not just to keep the said promise, but also wanna do this whilst my impressions of the show are still fresh, despite the fatigue. Nevertheless, I will try and write this to be understandable and enjoyable as much as I can.
The gig was scheduled to start at 8:30 pm in "CK13" (short for Crna Kuca or Black House in english) a club in Novi Sad (second biggest city in Serbia). The club was running as my most favorite gig space in Serbia, so next to the happiness of hearing the announced bands I was quite excited that the show was in said place. And yes, I said that it was my favorite, since that slightly changed since Sunday, but I'll get to that later. Anyways, my friends and I were planing this trip quite a while and we were in Novi Sad around 3 pm, roaming and hanging out in the city. And although we had an amazing time, the time before the gig showed on everyone and we were quite tired, since we basically covered the city twice on foot. We got to the club a bit late because of a food hunt before, but lucky for us (?) the gig didn't start on time.
Things went pretty much downhill from there, at least as far as my opinion about the club is concerned. First of all, while my friends stayed in the courtyard (since it was obvious that the gig didn't start) I went in to see when is the first band starting to play. On route I met a mate of mine from Novi Sad who hit me with a sledgehammer statement that "Reflections of Internal Rain" won't play the show. Yeah... As he said, "new policy of the house" that a show can't contain more than two bands, so ROIR had to be cancelled. To make matters worse, several of my friends who came on this trip hopped on board just to see the said band play. And to make matters even more worse, the show was late so much, that the club could have hosted four bands, let alone three. The most hillarious thing (I'm suppresing myself to write "and to make matters even more more worse) is that on June 19th, Reflections... will be playing a show in CK13 with two more bands! What. The. Fuck. A bunch of bureocratic bullshit if you ask me.
So after I had to present the sad news to my gang and live through several whining moments from a few of them, the show started with sounds comming from "Melete" along with additional material in the "this club starts to suck" basket. "CK13" was my favorite not only for interior looks, but also because it had the best sound quality I ever heard on a gig and that changed as well (at least in my opinion, didn't really discuss that with all of my friends after the show). Either I became an old man or haven't been to a gig for a long time, which I haven't actually, but the instruments were just to damn loud, so the instruments and vocals melted into an amalgam of noise. You could hear and recognize parts of the songs, but mostly you ended listening to something you just can't understand. Despite that, "Melete" was such an amazing pleasure to watch and listen. The small stage was exploading with movement and the passion literally oozed from the speakers through songs such as "Rhodonea...", "Mother's Love" and "Bizniscore". I won't be talking about "Melete" a lot in this review, since I keep material about writing about them in a post yet to come.
After "Melete", followed a small break during which one of my friends agreed with me on the "bad sound" thingt. Anyway, "Shades of Grey" played soon after that. I'll be completely honest and say that I'm not a huge fan of SoG. Not that I don't like their tunes, which I do in fact, but I only ever got to listen to their selftitled release from 2006. So yeah, a lot of the songs I didn't recognize, but damn do they know how to fuel up the atmosphere! The crowd did it's share of dancing and the stage was very impressive to watch. Also, despite the bad sound quality, the vocals were superb and quite powerful. I really regret the fact that I don't know a lot of their songs, since I'm quessing that that would enhance the experience. Either way, they were astonishing to behold and the crowds screaming and clapping granted us one additional song!
It all ended around midnight and after the show I get to meet in person several of my "online" friends (which was actually quite funny since one I know from myspace, one from Last.fm and one over e-mail correspondence) among them being Luka, singer from "Melete" who happens to be one of the friendliest people I have ever met. Talked to them a bit, then joined the rest of my friends in the courtyard, after which ensued the most tormenting 5 hours (literally) of train waiting, whilst being half wet from the rain. But despite all the bad things mentioned in this (very boring, yes) review, I was quite happy. I hope that the bands had a great time as much as the crowd did and that they will come again to play here.

No comments:

Post a Comment