Saturday, November 20, 2010

Innards - Innards (2010)



The gruesome fevers have finally come and gone, so it is time to celebrate with an awfully amazing skramz band. I have had this release for some time now, but never got around to listen to it. Yet once I did, I completely felt blown away and this definitely deserves posting.

Innards is a four-piece project hailing from Fort Worth, Texas sharing members with other bands, namely Zwounds and Jubilee/Nouveaux Riches. Just to inform you from the start, this is a one-breather, so sit tight, max the volume and kick it off, you are in for a damn interesting ride.
I really don't know from where to start describing this band, since I'm under so much impressions. Despite this being a thirteen minute release there is a lot going on here. Imagine that you gather something like fifty people with fairly similar music tastes and tell them to write some tunes. This is the closest you can get with the description, but top it off with an excellent realization. Ok, retarded writeup needs to be saved. What I meant was that while you listen to this you can hear a vast array of influences, but all with a unique twist. I think I heard pretty much everything here, from vocals which sometimes reminded me of Jeromes Dream (and pack singing which is very familiar, but it pisses me off because I can't remember from where), melodies that reminded me of 2049, chaos of Colors and rushing tunes with a Merchant Ships feel and everything in between. See what I mean?
But in defense of the band, these are just what I said they are, influences and Innards managed to sculpt all of this into a uniquely knit masterpiece. With so many ideas floating around, don't expect to find similar song structures between the songs on this album and I'm safe to say that this is definitely a virtue of the band. Slow and gentle sections are splashed with math-like chaos and followed by high-pitched melodies which sound like the ravings of a madman...with so much to work with, Innards managed to spread all the melodies into different places, so you absolutely can't expect what you are about to hear next. Due to this trait, it is really hard to find a favorite song among the six which are offered, since every song has that special something that attracts the listener. And since this is quite chaotic and head-spinning music, the most important thing is that the recordings are extremely clean and well done. So even in the most aggressive song parts you get to hear everything right and can recognize every instrument.
For a quartet, these guys definitely make a lot of noise. Hopefully this isn't just a one time thing and that they don't neglect Innards due to commitments to their other bands, since this is a very interesting project and it has a lot of potential. You can get in touch with them over myspace here. In the end I'd like to thank Andrew from Lizards Have Personalities for introducing me to this band, much appreciated man!
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. For fans of innards:
    screamo/punk from San Antonio Tx

    http://www.mediafire.com/?zf0c32k0pl90w

    ReplyDelete